Sunday 10 April 2011

Koh Samui, Thailand daily weather update; 10th April, 2011

Today's weather;

Blue skies this morning on Samui. Good to be home, yay! Current temp at 7am is around 25C

Yesterday I arrived already at 10.40am at the Donsak ferry and by 1pm I was back home! The whole trip saw sunshine but lo and behold, in the Surat Thani area there were some clouds but not a single drop of rain! Samui saw a hot and sunny afternoon with a max temp around 30C

Pretty soon after arriving back home I went around and had a look on my motorbike and although there's some damage, especially fairly easily to spot for residents, like a pothole or six more than there was on the roads compared to when I left, it all seems under control and back to normal.

All main roads on Samui are dry with an occasional puddle, it's some of the secondary roads and short cuts that most tourists wouldn't even know of or use that may still have some flooded parts, but than again nothing is deeper than 2 or 3 cm's. In Chaweng and Choengmon some 7-11's are being fixed and should be ready to open again soon.

Samui is all fine and there's no reason not to visit, same for Koh Phangan and Koh Tao!

One of the two collapsed bridges on highway 44 between Krabi/Phuket and Surat Thani

Yesterdays trip from Koh Lanta (with a successful PADI IE to boost!) to Samui was smooth. All roads were open and no water anywhere on a road. The only ripple were two collapsed bridges on highway 44 (South bound), within 200 meters of each other and the traffic was all on one side of the road. The road from the highway to the ferry was fine as well, nothing like 26th March when I almost got stuck.

Near Surat Thani was a lot of water damage and still a lot of flooded areas but things were definitely under control and repair work was in full swing.

The death toll is now at 59 and the Prime Minister, Abhisit visited Surat and Nakhon Si Thammarat yesterday, see The Nation for a report.

Severe flooding in the southern provinces has killed 59 people, totally destroyed 396 homes, and damaged 5,769 roads and 1.1 million rai of farmland, according to the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department.

The department said the flooding, which hit 10 southern provinces since last month, has receded in six provinces while Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phatthalung, Surat Thani and Trang remain submerged, with some 461,794 people affected.

Camille

6 comments:

Steve said...

Hi,

Nice blog you have, really informative info especially given the recent flooding.

I also noted that you are a diving instructor too, my friends and I are looking to visit in Easter and would like to do some diving. I am PADI AOW certified while my friends have never dived before.

May I check if you run any tours that will allow us to dive together? I do not mind diving with them at 12m...

Otherwise, appreciate if you can recommend other reputable operators if possible.

Thanks and Regards,
Steve

Camille said...

Hi Steve,

No problem at all, I can arrange for that easily, just get in touch in due time again!

Tony said...

Hi Camille

I hope you do not mind me contacting you

My wife and I are visiting Koh Samui in May we are staying at the Centara Grand Beach.
Our holiday there is to celerate our 35 th Anniverary

We are also most concerned with situation since the flooding, do you know if the hotel and surrounding districtis ok,
are the shops and resturants operational

Can you advise us any good restaurants and places to to just have a quiet drink.not to far away from the hotel
Also places to visit and whom to book them with.
nothing to extravagant

Any other advise you think that would be helpful I would appreciate

Regards

Tony

Camille said...

Hi Tony,

No problem at all contacting me. Everything is already up and running as usual and in May you will most likely note nothing at all from the flooding.

There are plenty of places in walking distance from the Centara, have a look at my restaurant label on the left hand side of my blog, about halfway down the page.

Rose said...

HELOO.I WOULD LIKE TO TELL ME ABOUT THE WEATHER ON MAY IN COH SAMUI FROM YOUR EXPIRIENCE.I KNOW ITS RAINING TIME BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THE RAIN IS USUALLY ALL THE DAY OR ONLY 2 OR 3 HOURS?THAKNS rose greece

Camille said...

Hi Rose,

Usually during May it’s really nice on Koh Samui, please have a look at my archives, half way down the page on my Samui info and weather blog, left hand side, they go back 4 years. Open a month that you’re interested in and check one of the of the last posts of each month, starting with ‘Goodbye to…………’ this post will tell you the weather conditions for that month.
You can also check each individual post for that month if you wish to.

Hope this helps for now.