Wednesday 30 June 2010

Goodbye to June 2010

Goodbye to June 2010

Here we are again, gathering around the last bits of this month and waving goodbye to it.

The weather was good this month, there was plenty of sun filled days during this month but there was also, at last, some rain. Especially the middle towards to end of the end of the month saw some much needed rain coming down on Samui. Overall it was a very warm month though.
It's interesting to see how my archives grow and I can look back at reports for a warm and sunny 2009, a similar 2008 and a wet 2007 version with only a dry stretch in the middle of the month.

The other thing I'm happy about this month is that the Netherlands football team made it to the quarter finals of the current World Championships in South Africa, although I'm not too happy about the way they did it, with rather boring football. Next opponent is Brazil, if the team can win that game, I see some serious possibilities for winning the cup this time around.

Last but not least, a look at some other Thai related blogs that I enjoy reading which can be found on my blog roll;

The first one in alphabetical order is Martyn's Beyond the Mango Juice, who in the right spirit of this World Championship football month wrote about a football stadium he visited in Udon Thani. Visiting football stadiums is something I like to do as well, my list of football stadiums is relatively small but includes Saigon, Hanoi, Phnom Phen and Guatemala City just to name a few exotic ones. Excellent post!

Next in line is a very interesting blog about the administrative subdivisions of Thailand - history, current news, facts hardly found in English, reviews of corresponding books, the Wikipedia coverage of these entities...I present you; Changwat, Amphoe, Tambon. Andreas puts lots if time and effort in this blog and he has most certainly something to show for, a very interesting blog indeed.
One post this month deals with district levels and the rules of the categorization of districts into small, medium and large, and which authority is responsible for this. Mind boggling and very interesting, or did I say that already?
Andreas also has a blog which he named 'My Unseen Thailand' which is also absolutely worthwhile checking out, although he's seemingly running out of blogs to write. The name tells it all!

On to my brother or sister site, Jamie's Phuket weather blog. Jamie writes good posts and has a big mofo of a camera and he shot some nice Thai girl pix in his latest post about the low season weather in which he also visits the 2nd Kathu village street culture festival. That must be where the picture come from.

Mike at My Thai Friend talks about an everlasting danger in Thailand, your neighbours and what great plans they may come up with, like opening a Karaoke bar next to your place in paradise! There's a little what will or can protect you in case one of your neighbours come up with this in their eyes most likely brilliant idea! TIT or This is Thailand in full swing. Thanks for the post Mike.

Malcolm, just looking at you in that hammock makes me feel like visiting you straight away. Being retired looks very promising this way! As a matter of fact, Malcolm is retired in Thailand and loving it, no wonder! He comes up with a post that tells you everything about coconuts that you always wanted to know but never dared to ask. As always, a pleasure to read.

Lawrence lives in Phana, a small town in the lower Northeast (Isan) of Thailand. He wrote two great posts about Lao PDR, not really about Phana his time around but of great interest to me with some nice pictures of the Plain of Jars or PDJ and the Hmong, the original people that lived there. Thanks for the posts Lawrence.

Another seemingly Dutch blogger, Siam Rick can be found in Canada but blogging away about Thailand and Asia. He has some interesting facts and stats about a bloggers life and the hits and misses you can have with blogs.

The new kid on the block is Bonsoong, a Thai blogger who isn't whatever people say he is. I like that! One of his posts was about a Thai fish on Chaam beach. Check it out!

That's it folks, more next month.

Camille

8 comments:

Andy said...

Thanks a lot for the mention of my two blogs, and happy you like my writings. Don't worry I may run out of topics for the travel blog, the longer pause there earlier mostly due to lack of time - hard to research the complicate topics for the Tambon blog, follow all the political news and then also write up travel hints. But since I have just been in Thailand there are several new postings brewing for the unseen Thailand blog, though maybe the closest I get to Samui will be the postings on a trip to Ranong.

Camille said...

Hi Andy,

In my opinion your Tambon blog is first of all extremely unique and secondly very interesting. That's a good piece of work.

The Unseen blog really hits the nail on the head with your posts, they're usually posts of places off the beaten track, so don't worry about Samui posts, I take care of them but if you ever make it out here, we'll have a beer or two instead!

Lawrence said...

Hi Camille

Thanks for the mention. A bit more on Laos coming up on my blog soon.

I, too, hope that's the last such accident you have to report on, but like you say, it's amazng how many survived.

I'll be watching and supporting the Netherlands tomorrow!

Camille said...

Hi Lawrence,

You're welcome and I'm looking forward to another piece on Laos.

The Netherlands will need all the support possible tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Hello Camille

Thanks for the link. Thanks for the plug.

I'll let you know if I spot anything else fishy on Cha-am Beach.

Take care

All the best, Boonsong

Camille said...

Hi Boonsong,

You're welcome. I liked Cha-am very much so let's hope it's not too fishy, whatever you find ;-)

Martyn said...

Camille thank you for the plug. It's always nice when someone posts a link to one of your stories, it makes all the effort worthwhile.

Keep up the good work on this blog, I do sometimes wonder how you manage to find time to post each and every day. I guess the words are dedication and a love for writing. Best wishes from the UK.

Camille said...

Hahaha, Martyn, I sometimes wonder myself! It's not only time but also the effort!