Sunday 30 December 2012

The Year 2012, looking back

It's that time of the year and time to look back at 2012. A busy year at times, especially towards the end with lots of work but also a year with many, many running races for me, something I don't mind at all, I found out this year!

Let's have a look then;

In January we visited the Sabeinglae restaurant in Lamai, a place that ranks high on our fave list! This was also the month when I unexpectedly walked into the Chinese New Year celebrations in Nathon. A very interesting event, not to be missed but also not for the faint hearted.

Nathon, Koh Samui, Chinese New Year 2012

Chinese New year festivities in Nathon

February saw a round of mini golf in Choengmon, good fun for the family, a concert of Pong Lan Sa On at the local temple, definitely one of the high lights this year and I started blogging 5 years ago. A nice mini jubilee.

March saw my first PADI IDC on Malapascua in the Philippines with PADI 5* IDC Center Sea Explorers. More were to follow! 

Koh Samui, temple party food, 2012

Temple party food; Mengda talee

April saw a scary moment during the PADI IDC in Khao Lak, a real tsunami warning, something not to forget too lightly. Luckily for everybody in the area it was a false alarm.
Songkran was also celebrated in Khao Lak this year.

Sun setting at Big Buddha

The sun is about to set at Big Buddha

In May I ran one of my many races this year, the Care for Cancer run organized by the Four Seasons in remembrance of Terry Fox.

June saw my 2nd year running in a row of the half marathon of the Phuket Laguna International Marathon, with another two half marathons to follow later during the year.

Wat Plai Laem, Koh Samui 2012

In July the Pattaya half marathon was due, with a personal best! Good times!! The yearly Kila Amphur was also taking place and some old style Samui pictures emerged, pretty cool!

Guan Yu shrine, Koh Samui 2012

Guan Yu shrine in Hua Thanon

Snow Patrol live in Manila was unexpectedly scheduled for August, a good show and it was good to see my friend from my music days again.

Kila Amphur, Koh Samui 2012

Kila Ampur

September was a busy month for running, the Samui Hill Challenge, the half marathon of the Princess Cup or Samui Island Marathon and a second place in my age category in the Full Moon marathon on Koh Phangan where I ran the 10km distance.
This month also saw the release of Hawksbill turtles at the Silavadee resort in Lamai. A very special event indeed.

During October I went to visit the Magic Alambic distillery in Ban Thale, well worth a visit.

Bang Rak Bay, Koh Samui 2012


In November the always very colorful Rua Chak Phra festival in Nathon is held with plenty of interesting 'boats' on display.

December put Samui in the world spotlights with a 3 day power cut to the island!
saw me running the Nike we run Manila event with 13.700 other runners and I ended in the first 300, according to my running computer. Nice that in Khao Lak a week or two later, somebody approached me when I was wearing the Manila shirt that they did the dame run in Moscow! Two more races followed, in Kathu, Phuket and tomorrow in Nakhon Si Thammarat. A very busy running season indeed and I loved every minute of it!

My summary ended up with plenty of racing in it but lots of other events happened as well, search my blog and thou will find! I wish you all a Happy and Prosperous 2013 and see you next year!

Don't forget to use my Camille's Samui hotel recommendation blog and my Camille's Thailand hotel recommendation blog for all your hotel bookings on Koh Samui and around Thailand. By doing so, you will support my blog. Thanks folks!

No comments: