Sunday 10 June 2012

Race day of the 7th Laguna Phuket International Marathon

Race day of the 7th Laguna Phuket International Marathon

This morning saw an early wake up call of 4am, so we I could make it for the 6am start of the half marathon as part of the 7th Laguna Phuket International Marathon. After breakfast and a shave, it was off to the start line at the Laguna Phuket resort. The kids were also going to run a 2km run with a 9am start.

Yesterday during registration

This marathon is fastest growing running event on Thailand's running calendar. Last year there were 4.000 participants and this year 5.000 runner were expected. Due to the recent stretch of bad weather, in my opinion, there were again 4.000 runners this year. Just a bit over 800 marathon runners and just over 900 half marathon runners, including myself. This is the 2nd consecutive year that I participate.

During the registration process the marathon, half marathon and 10.5km runner receive a goodie bag, including a bib (your race number), a T-shirt and a time chip, there were also a 5km walk and 2km kids run

On the left this years marathon shirt and on the right my running shirt. In good running tradition you're only 'allowed' to wear the events shirt after you completed the event! Hence, my current fave running shirt on the right with the bib.

The time chip

The time chip is attached to your shoe and at the start and during the race there are electronic checks to make sure you don't take any short cuts. After the event, you can also check out your official race time online at the organizers website. Your official time is your net time, the moment you cross the starting line until the moment you cross the finish line, not necessarily the order that you cross the line.

My Vibram 5 Finger running shoes with a Suunto POD and the time chip attached and the heart rate monitor

The POD checks your distance and speed and the heart rate monitor gives your heart rate, all displayed on your computer watch. During the run you can switch through the different settings and check various information on your watch.

I was aiming for a time under two hours abut ended up with a computer time of 2:03'4.3. A little bit disappointing, even one minute slower compared to my official time last year. It was not pretty, especially the last 3km were hard and I don't think I'll ever want to run a complete marathon! The result placed me as 212th finisher of 567 that completed the run and 31st in my age category out of 75.

A storm brewing up during the kids run, but luckily it blew over

The weather was fair during the run, the route was wet with a couple of puddles here an there but it was dry with an almost complete overcast sky. It didn't rain though so the temperature was very agreeable. It was hard though but worth it! I definitely earned my finishers medal this year!All in all a great event, well organised and although shortly after the run I was thinking of never running a half marathon again, right now I can't wait for the next run although I first need to get rid of the tired legs I currently have.

Don't forget to use my Camille's Samui hotel recommendation blog and my Camille's Thailand hotel recommendation blog for all your hotel bookings on Koh Samui and around Thailand. By doing so, you will support my blog. Thanks folks!

Camille

No comments: