Wednesday 11 April 2012

Tsunami warning in Khao Lak, Thailand

Tsunami warning in Khao Lak, Thailand

When I was in the pool teaching during the current Khao Lak PADI IDC, we saw more and more people crossing the road and disappear into the mountains behind the PADI 5* IDC Center Seadragon where I'm teaching. It turned out that there was an earthquake in Sumatra about an hour before and there was a tsunami warning. People were leaving the beach and fleeing to the mountains.

People crossing the road onto the mountains

Almost a few accidents happened by people too hastily crossing the road. I decided to stop the confined water dive and postpone that until further notice.

Traffic on the mountain leading out of Khao Lak

I went to my room, dropped my laptop and decided to go and have a look at the big mountain overlooking Khao Lak beach. It was very busy with many cars, trucks, mini vans and motorbikes parked along the road.

Up on the mountain leading out of Khao Lak

The beach about an hour ago

When I came back to my room, I could feel another quake, slightly but it was there and shortly afterwards an after quake was announced of 8.2

It looks like the tsunami is warning is still in place and it could well be a long night here. Many people are now off into the mountains, luckily my room is on high ground, located on a hill. For 6 coastal provinces evacuation plans are in place.

More to follow.

Camille

2 comments:

martin GW said...

Take (good) care! Best, Martin

Camille said...

Hi Martin,

Thanks, so far everything's fine. Tsunami warning has just been lifted.