Friday 8 October 2010

Samui style car parking!

Samui style car parking!

Driving around the island this week, I noticed some strange parking style habits amongst my fellow islanders.

The first one that got my attention was this car whose driver managed to wrap his car around an electricity pole 10 meters after a sharp, 90 degree angled curve in Plai Laem, not too far away from where I live. Now in itself that is not so hard to do, but to manage this within 10 meters of said curve is a rather astonishing feat.

This picture shows the angle of the wrap around.

This picture gives you an idea about the power that the pole had to deal with.

An overall idea how the car is positioned. It's pretty interesting to try to figure out how this happened. If this is your car, don't be shy, you can post anonymous and let us know how you managed to accomplish this!

A couple of days later, to be more accurately, today, I'm driving around Samui and I see this car parked in-between the Maenam post office wall and an electricity pole. What is it with electricity pole's this week?
As you can see in the picture, he missed a big, red letter post box and a telephone booth and he skidded across the road to park his car against traffic direction. Pretty astonishing!

It was a bit of a tight fir as this picture shows. Amazing talent out here on the road, but don't have yourself fooled, safety is not always an issue here!

The first car pictured here was moved away after a couple of days, this second car was moved later in the day, when I passed by again, I just know that the car wasn't there yesterday!

Safe travels.

Camille

4 comments:

Paul Garrigan said...

Great photos Camille. There are obviously a few stunt drivers on Samui. I really think that the big car maunfacturers should consider installing lucky amulets as standard. Who needs fancy computer safety equipment in their car when they can have some lucky string around their steering wheel :-)

Camille said...

Fully agree Paul, excellent suggestion!

Catherine said...

Hilarious! One of my western friends has been taking photos of a car park near his office because the way people park there is driving him to distraction.

I told him about parking in Thailand... and I just know he's going to love your post.

Camille said...

Hi Cat,

This is just the top of the iceberg!

On my TIT or This Thailand Facebook group are some more excellent samples!