Wednesday 28 October 2009

Nassir El Massri restaurant & shishah, Bangkok

Nassir El Massri restaurant & shishah, Bangkok

Is in my opinion the best Egyptian/Arabian restaurant in Bangkok. Almost every time that I find myself in Bangkok, I try to make it at least once to this amazing place which is located in Sukhumvit Soi 3/1. Today, after my dive with the sharks experience I found myself back at this fantastic and rather exotic place in Bangkok.

I've been told by people that have been to Egypt, that the place looks absolutely like restaurants in Egypt and everybody I talked to is impressed by their food.

They also offer hookah's or shishas, the big smoking devices that are so typical for the Middle east and Arab world.

The menu is very authentic and very big, but a great way to start is with the tea, ideally with loads of sugar and mint leaves. Be aware that there's no alcohol served in this restaurant.

I love hummus and I tried the hummus with lamb, pictured bottom right together with an okra tomato based soup and some bread. Ready to dig in but I'm still waiting for some meat.

The meat dishes in this restaurant are fantastic, usually very juicy and fresh and lots of lamb dishes are on the menu. There was however one particular dish that caught my eye, something I hadn't seen before and since I like to try new things, I had to go for it. It took me a while to convince the waiter that this was really what I wanted and he tried to point out about every other dish on the menu, including a very tasty looking dish of the day with chicken. My mind was set however and I went for the lamb testicles. Once he understood that I really wanted to order this he was cool with it and probably thought what a funny infidel I am. He enjoyed my choice though and it was really good, I had the kidney / lamb testicle dish but it comes in various options. If this choice is a bit too wild for you, don't worry, there's plenty of more traditional food available, including chicken, fish and other lamb options.
This place comes highly recommend by me and the prices are very reasonable to cheap. if in Bangkok, try it!
Camille




6 comments:

Mike said...

Camille the food looks delicious-I need to get out more although BKK is a bit of a trek!

I just took a peek at the shark dive-you certainly seem to have been having a good time.

Camille Lemmens said...

Hi Mike,

The food rocks here, went today again for an early dinner before I'm catching the flight back to Samui.

Jon and Bronwyn said...

Wow interesting, what was it like. I have had something similar in NZ which they call "Mountain Oysters". Very tasty but very dry.

Camille Lemmens said...

Hi Jon and Bronwyn,

It was actually very nice, very soft meat in contrast to the lamb kidneys that were part of the platter.
The food is very delicious there!
Heard of prairie oysters before but never had them!

Dalia said...

Salut Camille
I am going to BKK tomorrow for the 1st time..how easy is it to find this restaurant pls. Can you give me any landmarks pls? is is near any station.
I am staying at the Courtyard Marriott Hotel in Rajdamri Rd, Pathumwan..wherever that is!

Many thanks
Dalia

Camille Lemmens said...

Hi Dalia,

Thanks for your enquiry. It's near Skytrain station Nana.
You are located in-between station Rajadamri and Chit Lom, both at walking distance here's a map

Go to the Chit Lom station and take the train direction On Nut, it's just two stations. Take the exit near Sukhumvit Soi 7 and walk until you're at Soi 3, take a right and you'll see it at the first corner, at your left hand, second restaurant. Can't miss it ;-) Enjoy the food, it's delicious!

Regards,
Camille