Saturday 25 April 2009

Beach clean up at Bang Rak

Beach clean up at Bang Rak

Today it was time for the Beach Clean up in Bangrak, which was to take place from the Seatran pier down to the Petcharat pier.
It was organised by the Koh Samui Green Island Dive Operators Association GIDOA but various big Samui hotels were attending and also plenty of volunteers, besides almost all dive shops on the island!

A view from the Seatran pier shortly before the kick off of the clean up!


Some of the hotels and volunteers participating.

More hotels and volunteers.

The clean up in full swing.

Part of the collected rubbish.
There must've have been around a 100 or more people participating and my whole family took part, our two kids, my wife and me.
There was plenty of rubbish to be collected, ranging from loads of plastic bottles, to cigarette butts, tyres and you name it.
The Tessabaan came to collect all the rubbish.
It was great to participate, seeing friends and meet new people and having the feeling that you actually do something for the (local) environment makes me feel good!
I will keep you updated on plans for the next beach clean up, probably in about two months.
Camille

4 comments:

Happy Dive Station said...

if i look to the truck it was a good day for it. Alot of garbage collected. i think it loks like a real beach again? ;-)

Camille Lemmens said...

Hoi Richard,

It was a good day and plenty of folks showed up and lots of garbage was collected.

Just hope it will look long enough like a real beach again!

Malcolm and Ciejay Burgess said...

Camille, When I was in Oregon in the USA we use to take part in the beach clean-up every year , fun day at the beach , hot wet and some very unusual stuff found the beach always looked so much better and tons of trash was collected.Was alway as good thing for my kids to see how a little becomes a lot over time. a good lesson in life .
Good for you and all the folks who volunteered to help I take my hat off to you . Malcolm

Camille Lemmens said...

Hi Martin,

Definately hope that my kids will learn something from events like this. This is the first time I took them along to a clean up and they enjoyed it.

Have organised and participated in a few myself over the years and am looking forward to the next one already!