Thursday 5 June 2008

Plai Laem market

Plai Laem market

Is located not too far away from where I live and it's a small but lively market. Especially after 5 pm it tends to become very busy, so busy that the police actually has daily controls now and between 4 pm and 7 pm parking is even regulated. Quite unusual in my opinion, but the traffic or rather the parking did get out of hand and was causing danger to other road users.



This market has plenty of fresh fish everyday, it's located next to the ocean and a lot of local fishermen have their family and/or wives sell directly at the market. This pictures shows various kinds of Plaa Meuk or Squid and some Kuung or shrimps.



Here's a typical display showing, a small shark on the far right, some Barracuda, Pomfret an excellent tasting fish! and snappers.


Some Thai snacks or junk food. Two different kinds of deep fried shrimps on the left and at the right hand side the eggs of the horse shoe crab or Mengda in a curry paste wrapped in banana leaves. I commented already on the horse shoe crab in my Nathon Market article recently.


To be found on almost every Thai market are the grounded curry pastes, out of which the actual Thai curries are made. Here are a few on display with various other bits and pieces that help out spicing up your food.



Out of the many fruits on display at this market, like various kinds of bananas, pineapples, watermelons, papaya's etc, I found these two more exotic sample. On the left Lam Yai or Longan and on the right La Mut or Sapodilla, which has it's roots in Mexico!

Whilst visiting Samui or any other parts of Thailand, try to visit a local market, they're worthwhile it. You'll find and see so many things that you haven't seen before in the West! Enjoy!

Camille

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good photos Camille (especially the 4th one) and write-up. Makes me want to come and check it out!

Still unsure why you can't comment on my blog. I've had one person leave comments but am not sure if others are having problems too.

Camille Lemmens said...

Hi Dave,

Wish I could comment on your blog but the calrification codes don't show on my pages.

Thanks for the comment though, I like that 4th picture as well.

What are your summer study plans?

Anonymous said...

Am going to ask someone to post a test message on my site to see if they can post too. Very strange that you can't see the codes.

Summer plans are up in the air. Was set on Thailand and doing the CELTA, but now one of my best friends from England has invited me to his wedding at the end of September. Can only do one or the other and have to make a decision soon.

Camille Lemmens said...

Hi Dave,

Very strange indeed, since I could see the codes at one stage and was able to post. I'm also very happy to post on a lot of things you blog about, especially since that nasty 'Guy at the airport' type is gone;-)

That's a tough choice to make. As an educator I'd say further your career, but hey, the human side is important as well.