Friday 5 March 2010

Ang Sila, home of 'clocks'

Ang Sila, home of 'clocks'

Yesterday we visited the village of Ang Sila, a few kilometers off Chonburi city and just under an hours drive from Pattaya.

What makes this little village so special is that they sell 'clock' and 'sahk' or in English, mortars and pestles.

The stone used for these mortars apparently is found in this region and from all over Thailand people come to buy them.

The shop we visited had a couple of hundred on display and most of them were half the price compared to what you pay for them in Samui. They also export them all over the world and they quadruple in price easily, if not more.
They carried them in all sizes, from very small to seriously big ones, maybe half a meter in diameter.

They had various desgins on display and my Mum in law bought 5 of them, for her sisters and friends and my wife bought also one.

They also had a white stone variation and what I really liked were the square mortars, since they're rather unusual.

Once more one of these unexpected little finds in Thailand. We were rather late in visiting Ang Sila, after 6pm but apparently there's also a 'clock' or mortar museum which was closed when we visited but which I would've loved to visit!

Camille

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Camille,

I'm considering moving to Samui and am enjoying your blog very much.

I have a question for you if you have a moment and the interest...regarding your "Ang Sila, home of 'clocks'" post.

I've been doing some research on the history of mortar and pestles for a book I'm writing about premodern symbols...in particular that the mortar/pestle was used as a symbol for the passage of time. I'm curious...you refer to mortars as "clocks" in your post...do you know if this is a Thai word? Or if it is an English translation of a Thai word? I've googled around and haven't found anything related.

If you happen to have any more info I'd be very appreciative to hear it.

Funny the things we get excited about, eh? :)

Best regards,
Jeff

jefmille@earthlink.net

Camille Lemmens said...

Hi Jeff,

The word 'clock' in relation to mortars is indeed the Thai word for mortar and it sounds like 'clock'. I can get the Thai script version for you if that's of any help.

Anonymous said...

That would be much appreciated. I can then research further. Thanks. :)

Camille Lemmens said...

K, the word 'clock' is in the Thai language written as; ครก