Tuesday 12 January 2010

Donsak Orchid Garden

Donsak Orchid Garden

Going over to Surat Thani to sort out a new Thai passport for our daughter brought me to the mainland by car and more specific to Surat Thani exactly to the day it was a year ago that I last visited, with my Dad, I just found out going through my own blog!

Sorting out the passport turned out to be a breeze, the passport agency or office wasn't busy at all and we were in and out of there with a mission completed within half an hour.

This opened up some time and resulted in a visit to two different Wats or Temples and a visit to the Donsak Orchid Garden.


It's located about fifteen minutes at most after arriving at Donsak ferry terminal and leaving there direction Highway 401 to either Surat Thani or Nakhon Si Thammarat

Besides hosting a beautiful orchid garden and being located in a very nice and relaxing setting, they offer food and they also have rooms available for an overnight stay. In case you miss the ferry and could do with a laid back evening? Here's a picture of an eating/sitting area with a lovely overlook over a small river floating by in the background.

This restaurant looks very inviting to just sit down and spend a couple of hours over a meal. It overlooks the orchid garden, where my wife stocked up on some real bargains in the flower dept!

One of the main buildings on the premises with a real homely feel to it. The bungalows are cheap and scattered over the area.

This orchid came out really well on the macro setting of my camera and there's plenty more to see in all kind of shapes and colours.

The visit to the orchid garden was a pleasant and unexpected stop over, before hitting the ferry back to Samui and I can highly recommend stopping by if you visit or leave Samui by car. As already mentioned before, if you miss the last ferry and don't need any bright lights, this would be a perfect place to spend the night within a few minutes of the ferry.

Camille





2 comments:

Martyn said...

Camille I really do like those thatched roof type open air restaurants. They look sweet and are surprisingly cool to sit in. They also have that air of Siam many many years back and I kind of like that sort of thing. Simply constructed but simply sweet. Wilai would love the orchid photo.

Mike said...

Hi Camille, I love orchids and the variety here never fails to astound me.

The location looks quite nice, very rural if you know what I mean.