Wednesday 13 January 2010

Sanchao Hailam Bandon, Surat Thani

Sanchao Hailam Bandon, Surat Thani

On my recent trip to Surat Thani, we had to go down town in order to find the Thai passport office and I renewed my acquaintance ship with a Chinese Temple, which turned out to be the Sanchao Hailam Bandon. Sanchao means a certain Chinese style Chinese Temple. Hailam is the way Chinese name certain districts and Bandon is the district. I posted about this temple already a year ago, but didn't realise back than that there are two temples at the same crossing, opposite each other.



Part of the Temple is used as a school for languages and unfortunately I wasn't allowed to make pictures of a big altar and shrine there.



What I really liked were these pictures from years gone by, a feat to be found in a lot of Thai Temples.



I was allowed to take pictures from a smaller shrine in the same complex and this the entrance to this smaller shrine.



The small shrine.



Next to the temple or behind, pending on how you look at it, was also the Hainan association of Surat Thani. I already posted about a big Hainanese infuence on Samui and here's more proof of the influence Hainan must've had on the Thai cities in the Gulf of Thailand.


When in Surat Thani, well worth checking out.


Camille



2 comments:

Alexander said...

Hello!
My name is Alexander, I am from Bucharest, Romania and I would like to spend my summer holiday together with my wife Andreea in Koh Samui.
My friends said to me that in that period weather is bad (rainy days, cloudly, etc).
Please, help me. I need your advise. My plan is to spend in Koh Samui (Centara Resort) 14 days, starting June 13. How is the weather in this period?
Thank you much.

Camille Lemmens said...

Hi Alexander,

June is a good time to visit Koh Samui. The ehavy monsoon is happening at the Andaman side and if you have a look at my archives, you can look up June for the last two or three years.

There may be bits and pieces of rain but also plenty of sunshine.