Monday 5 August 2013

Central Festival in Chaweng under construction

It's been a while since I last reported about the future Central Festival on Samui, at it's future location at Chaweng's beach road. The pictures from last year of 14th and 16th October and of February this year were actually the only updates.

The future entrance

This is how the future entrance looks like on the drawing board

Progress seemed slow, I wasn't on the island a lot and even if I was on Samui, I didn't visit Chaweng a lot, so updates were rather scarce! Up till today! Recently it seemed that the construction site was actually making some progress and what better time to give an update.

Central Festival construction site August 2013

The construction site a few days ago

The grand opening is scheduled in March 2014, which I believe when I see it. As already mentioned, progress seems to be slow and although probably not impossible, I seriously doubt that the construction will be completed by then. 


An aerial view of the construction site and it's 37 rai for Central Festival Samui

Central Festival Samui’s project value is around Bt3.1 billion and will be built on a 37-rai property near Chaweng Beach and 35.000 visitors are expected on a daily base.

Central Festival Samui fact sheet

Fact sheet

I can clearly remember when Tesco Lotus opened shop in Chaweng, the whole island seemed to be walking around with a big smile, locals, Thais from the mainland, expats and anybody else that lived on the island! 
This is going to be bigger and arguably better and personally I can't wait for it to open it's doors! And the restaurants that go with it!

Central Festival Samui tentative floor plan

There's already a (tentative) floor plan!

Knowing a few similar Central Festival outlets in Phuket and Pattaya, the shops and restaurants will be to my liking and I imagine that they will appeal to the average visitor of the mall.
The lack of a 'Sizzler' restaurant is just one of the many samples and places that will do well on this island!
Central Festival will be a general improvement for the island in my opinion and I'm actually slightly but positively surprised that they're opening shop on our island, since I always thought that Samui would be too small for this kind of mall.

Central Festival Samui construction entrance

The construction site entrance

The grand opening of Central Plaza in Surat Thani was a crazy affair, it took me over an hour to drive just a few kilometers to the mall and it was a madhouse, with cars parked everywhere, on the highway, in the trees, you name it! Inside the mall people were packed like sardines. Not a good idea to visit that day of you have small children.
The opening here is going to be a 'nightmare', it will probably be better to wait a few days before I will show up.

Central Festival Samui see you March 2014

Central Festival Samui see you in March 2014

Expect a few more updates before this Central Festival on Koh Samui will open it's doors! It will be interesting to see and document the progress.

Don't forget to use my Camille's Samui hotel recommendation blog and my Camille's Thailand hotel recommendation blog for all your hotel bookings on Koh Samui and around Thailand. By doing so, you will support my blog. Thanks folks!

Camille

No comments: